Steve Walker Report Editor Steve Walker

Steve Walker is a Former Justice of the Peace Precinct 2, Retired Teacher, Army Public Affairs Broadcast, Photo/Print Journalist, Master Sgt. Reservist (Vietnam Veteran, Desert Storm @ Pentagon) & former Balcones Heights Mayor Pro Tem & City Councilman. Also former President of the Junior Chamber of Commerce in 81-82, Harlandale Federation of Teachers President, 1999-2002

Saturday, October 25, 2014

"Just a Thought" column continues in La Prensa, 10-26

Just a Thought: Tino Duran & me
By Steve Walker

As I read last week’s La Prensa’s front page feature article on Publisher Tino Duran’s bout with Alzheimer’s disease, I was devastated on two fronts. Although I have known for quite some time about his situation, it doesn’t soften the heartache of knowing a friend has been struck by a heart-wrenching condition.

Like many, I am aware of how the disease affects families as my own father suffered early onset of Alzheimer’s and passed away at the age of 62-- one month shy of his 63rd birthday. His death was also due to complications of diabetes. My mother also suffered the effects although not officially diagnosed with the disease, and passed away shortly before her 82nd birthday.

In 1985, months before he passed, my father asked me, “What is the President’s name?” Shocked, I was speechless. He informed me that all he could remember about him was that he was an actor and on the TV show, “Death Valley Days.”  “Ronald Reagan,” I blurted, not truly understanding what had happened to his memory.

Years later a similar incident occurred with my mother one day when she asked with a puzzled face, “how many sons do I have, besides you?” As the oldest of six boys, I gently listed my brother’s names for her and then she asked me to repeat the list again.  That was tough, especially on my youngest brother Sam.

Now that my friend Tino Duran is suffering from the same disease, I am saddened to know how it will affect his wife, Millie, daughter Nina, & sons David, Steve & Tino Junior. I have been there and done that so to speak even though every situation is different but similar.

I am truly grateful, since he was the man who gave me the opportunity to write a Sunday weekly column, which in two months will complete four years to include my two year column “Ask the Judge” and now “Just a Thought.”

Mr. Duran has always been supportive of me as far back as when I served in the nineties until 2007 as a Balcones Heights Councilman and later from 2009-2012 when I was on the bench as a Judge. I did write three or four guest columns about Red Light cameras as a councilman, which Balcones Heights installed, much to my chagrin and strong opposition.

Speaking of the nineties, I used to run into Millie and Tino at the-then Crossroads Mall in Balcones Heights (Now Wonderland of the Americas) as they were walking the mall for exercise.  Linda and I used to run into them in the mall, usually in Steinmart’s, and stop for a short time to visit with them when they finished their walk.

In the last few years I have been privileged to attend and cover the La Prensa of SA Foundation Galas, which raises money to fund scholarships for students who otherwise would not get the opportunity to attend college.

I have heard him publicly say many times at those events and other venues that the mission was helping the young people attend college.  One of the first times I recall him speaking about the foundation, was as a guest speaker at a Latino Breakfast meeting (Latino Business Network) during my days as a councilman.

While Mr. Duran says he wants to be remembered for his work helping young people go to college, I believe his legacy will also include helping people of all ages, achieve their potential in every part of their lives.

I know he has continually inspired me by giving me a forum in his newspaper to write uplifting columns about the Hispanic community that can positively affect and touch people’s lives here in San Antonio. That certainly works for me. Thank you Mr. Duran for being the man I would hope to be and Happy 80th birthday.

As always, I write just a thought.

Steve Walker is a Viet Nam Veteran, former Journalist & Pct. 2 Justice of the Peace

No comments:

Post a Comment